Asst Professor Asim Shabbir
Division of General Surgery (Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery)
National University Hospital
MBBS (PAK.), MMed (Singapore), FRCS (Edin.)
Asst Prof Asim Shabbir is a Senior Consultant with the Division of General Surgery (Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery) at the National University Hospital, Singapore. He completed his basic and advance surgical training at NUH, Singapore. He was awarded fellowships from Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and was accredited a surgical specialist by the Specialist accreditation board in 2007. In 2009, he did a clinical fellowship on Gastric cancer management with special interest in laparoscopic surgery for gastric cancer at the Seoul National University Hospital, South Korean. In 2010, he trained at Eda Hospital, I Shou University Kaohsiung, Taiwan in Bariatric and Metabolic surgery and was awarded as Fellowship.
Asst Prof Asim specialty is general surgery and his special interests are Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, bariatric & metabolic surgery, advance endoscopy and laparoscopic surgery. He has been active in international as well as local meeting of his interest. His research interest includes obesity, surgery for type 2 diabetes and gastric cancer. He won the Best free paper award for his presentation “Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass for the Treatment of Type II Diabetes Mellitus in Chinese Patients with Body 25-35kg/m2at Asia Pacific metabolic bariatric surgical society meeting 2010. He has published in reputed journal in his field of interest.
He is currently the post graduate director for the department of Surgery at the National University hospital. He co-ordinates the surgical academic activities for the clinical foundation scheme for undergraduates medical students of the National University of Singapore, in our Hospital.
Awards and Honours
- NLAM Clinician Scientist Unit “Pitch for Funds” awarded S$10,000 research grant on 16 March 2009 for project entitled: A New Endoluminal Device for Duodenal Exclusion in Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Obesity.
- Best oral paper presentation Asia Pacific Metabolic Bariatric Surgery Society meeting 2010 for paper titled “Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass for the treatment of Type II diabetes mellitus in Chinese patients with body mass index of 25-35”
- International Award by American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, Florida, June 2011, for paper titled “Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass for the treatment of Type II diabetes mellitus in Chinese patients with body mass index of 25-35, A prospective study
- Courage Star. Certificate of Appreciation for Valour and selfless dedication during SARS period March to May 2003
- Long Service Award National University Hospital Singapore, 16th May 2007
- Merit award Pitch of Funds Round 15th Nov. 2007. Yong Lin School of Medicine. NUS leadership in Academic Medicine Program.
- Merit award. Young investigator award in clinical research. NHG Annual Scientific Congress 7th & 8th Nov. 2008.
- NUHS Way Quest Merit Award (CPIP Category) during the NUHS Way Day 2009 celebration
- Sunny side up Award 2009